Info for US Competitors

US citizens visiting Canada require either a passport or an enhanced driver's license (currently issued by Connecticut, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, South Dakota, Vermont and Washington) to re-enter the US hassle free.

If you are crossing from Michigan, the Port Huron crossing will not be as busy as the Detroit crossing.  If you are crossing from New York, the Queenston Lewiston crossing is not very busy compared to the other two further south.

Bringing firearms into Canada is not difficult provided you don't have any kind of record.  Thousands of hunters and competitive shooters bring their rifles and handguns across the border every year to hunt and to compete in shooting events.

All of the information for bringing firearms into Canada is located here:

Fill out the RCMP 5589 form in TRIPLICATE and leave it UNSIGNED. A customs officer must witness the signing of the forms in order to issue the temporary Possession License. A $25 CAD must be paid at the border crossing.

The procedure is straight forward for bolt action rifles and for semi-autos that are classified as "non-restricted" (XCR, M14, M1A, HK SL8 +others). At the border, just declare your firearm(s) at the customs booth and hand the customs officer the filled out RCMP 5589 forms. They will send you inside to process it and to verify the serial number(s). Provided you don't have any kind of record, it should be approved.

AR-15s and AR-10s are classified as "restricted" and fall into the same category as most handguns. They can still be brought into Canada fairly easily. This just requires the additional step of getting an "Authorization To Transport" (ATT). You will need to get this in advance (do it ASAP). The number to call to get the ATT is at the bottom of the RCMP 5589 form. We will provide a letter to you that says you will be attending the match. You will need to forward this to them to get the ATT. Once approved, the ATT will be e-mailed to you. Print it out, bring it with you and hand it to the customs officer with the filled out RCMP 5589 forms at the customs booth.  Make sure to verify that your personal information and the serial number of the rifle listed in the ATT are correct.

Some semi-auto rifles are classified as "prohibited" and cannot be brought into Canada (FAL, HK 91, HK PSG-1, Dragonov +others) . Contact us if you are unsure how your semi-auto is classified.

Magazine capacity is based on the type of firearm the magazine was manufactured for.  It doesn't matter what kind of firearm you use the magazine in.  Magazines manufactured for bolt action rifles have no limit (AICS, AW, Sako TRG, etc...). Magazine extension can be used with these. Magazines manufactured for semi-auto rifles must be pinned to 5 rounds. Magazines manufactured for pistols must be pinned to 10 rounds. 10 round AR-15 and AR-10 magazines that have "Pistol" stamped on them by the manufacturer can legally be used in rifles. These can be obtained from many Canadian vendors.

The only restrictions based on features are for barrel length and overall length. Boltguns must not be shorter than 26" overall length (applies when the stock is collapsed if the rifle has a collapsible stock). A factory barrel on a boltgun cannot be cut down to less than 18". Factory rifles with barrels that were manufactured to be less than 18" and rifles with custom barrels that are shorter than 18" are ok, provided the overall length of the rifle is not less than 26" (applies when the stock is collapsed if the rifle has a collapsible stock). For a semi-auto to be classified as non-restricted, it must have a barrel that is 18.5" or longer and must not be on the restricted or prohibited lists.

Boltguns and non-restricted semi-autos must be stored unloaded either in a locked case OR with a trigger lock, OR with a cable lock that blocks the bolt. Restricted semi-autos (AR-15s and AR-10s) must be store unloaded in a locked case AND (have a trigger lock, OR a cable lock that blocks the bolt). Detailed information about storage is located here:

Before leaving the US, get a "Certificate of Registration For Personal Effects Taken Abroad" from U.S. Customs. It will record a description of the firearm including the serial number. You need to keep this and have it available on your return to the US .


DO NOT ATTEMPT TO BRING A SUPPRESSOR INTO CANADA. Suppressors are NOT legal for civilians to own in Canada.

Be careful not to accidentally carry your CCW handgun across.

Please contact us if you have any questions or are unsure about the status of any firearm, magazine or accessory you would like to bring to the match.